Canada Visitor Visa

A Canada visitor visa is required for business or tourism trips to Canada. The Canada visitor visa is also referred to as Temporary Resident Visa (TRV).

The general rule is that if you want to come to Canada as a visitor, you need a Canada visitor visa.

It must be noted that Canada visitor visa requirements depend on your country of citizenship, not on your country of residence.

Business Visitors

Visitors can stay up to 6 months in Canada and can come for personal reasons or for business. However, if coming for business, keep in mind that you cannot take up any paid work. Business visitors come to Canada:

  • for international business activities
  • without directly entering the Canadian labour market

Their activities include meeting people from companies doing business with their country, observing work sites and intra-company training.

Business visitors must prove that their main source of income and their main place of business are outside Canada.

Canada Visitor Visa Refusal

A refused visitor’s visa is not a reason to panic! There are many reasons why a Canada visitor visa gets refused. The Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who founded Avenue Canada was actually denied a South African visitor visa before coming to Canada, and it was not because she made a terrible mistake.

The problem was that the organization she wanted to volunteer with issued her an invitation letter that did not meet the requirements of the South African consulate. Even with that “denied” stamp in her passport, she was still able to become a Canadian permanent resident.

Actually, there are more different reasons to get a denial stamp on your application than people know about.

Here are a few of them:

  • You did not submit your documents by the deadline
  • The visa officer is not satisfied that you will return to your home country
  • Medical or criminal inadmissibility

If you require more information on your Canada visitor visa application or have doubts about your admissibility, please contact our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant for a consultation.

Temporary Stay & Pr Application

If you have already applied for Canadian Permanent Residency and want to visit Canada, the visa officer might deny you access at the Port of Entry.

Anyone coming to Canada on a temporary basis as a worker, visitor or student must satisfy the requirements of the term temporary: you have to prove that you will leave at the end of your authorized stay. And this is where the notion of Dual Intent comes into play.

It can be difficult to believe that someone who has expressed the intention to live in Canada permanently will leave at the end of their authorized temporary stay.

Dual Intent

Let’s say you have submitted your application for Canadian Permanent Residency. You want to visit Canada to get to know the country better, for example in the context of an exploratory visit, as requested by some provincial nominee programs.

As long as you can prove you have ties to your current country of residence, such as a lease contract, a job confirmation etc., this is totally acceptable. Because you have Dual Intent to leave Canada by the end of your authorized stay AND to live in Canada permanently in case you get approved.

No Dual Intent

Let’s say you are married to a Canadian and have applied for permanent residency from outside of Canada. You arrive at the airport with three big suitcases and no return ticket. Depending on the officer and how far along you are in the process, this will be considered not acceptable because one can conclude that your intent is purely rooted in your desire to live in Canada permanently.

Now we heard of cases of people who were issued a Canada visitor record upon entry into Canada, despite all of these factors. In your own interest, we advice you to be very careful here. It may happen that visa officers use their discretion to your advantage, but the general rule is that they can deny entry if they think that you use your Canada visitor visa to “wait” for your permanent residency inside of Canada.

Contact our Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant today for more info!

Services offered by Montreal Immigration Consultant

Contact Avenue Canada - Immigration Consultant in Montreal, Quebec

Our Partners

  • New canadian
  • All Personal
  • lifeadvancement

Quick Inquiry

Quick Inquiry Form

✓ Valid